Sunday, November 11, 2007

Is Thomas a bully?

I'm at home watching Thomas right now while Aubree is a work. He's taking a nap, and I'm working on my personal statement for law school applications. I need a little break, and I realized I haven't posted anything myself for a while.

I took Thomas to church this morning. There was a young family that sat in the pew directly behind us. They have two little twin boys. They are only one month older than Thomas. Thomas was trying to make friends. He was standing up against the seat back, facing this family. He gave them big smiles and was very friendly. He even started to talk to them, making some small squealing sounds. Then, he made one sound that was probably better described as a scream. It frightened one of the twins, causing him to cry. So, is Thomas a bully? Of course not! He was just trying to be friendly. It was maybe kind of like how Lizzy tries to be friendly. She gets so excited it comes across a little strong some times. (Maybe that's where Thomas learned it.)

After a short play time, Thomas fell asleep in my arms. I really enjoyed cuddling with him throughout the rest of the meeting, but he is getting really heavy. Definitely worth the cramped muscles, though.

After church, we came home and played with Lizzy. She missed us while we were gone. At one point, we were laying in bed because Thomas was acting a little bit tired. Lizzy decided that the best place for her to lay down would be on the pillow directly above our heads. (Mom, I know that we had a discussion recently about the proper term to use in different situations, be it lay or lie, but I still don't remember which one to use. I hope that was right.) There wasn't a whole lot of space between the wall and our heads, so needless to say, Lizzy made it a bit cramped. She just really wanted to be by us.

Aubree has done a great job posting on this blog, and she has been very inclusive with the main events in our lives. I've been very busy working and preparing for presentations at work. On top of that, I've been trying to work on my personal statement for law school. Everything else is pretty much done. I need to make some revisions to my resume and write an addendum about why I missed two years of school because that is a common question on the applications. I've also been wrestling with the decision to apply early decision to George Washington. My new LSAT score makes me competitive at some top 10 schools. George Washington is a great school and is ranked 22nd by US News and World Report. However, I've talked to a few people in the law profession that suggested that it I may want to wait and see what all of my options are before I limit myself to George Washington. The deal with the early decision program at George Washington is that they guarantee me a three year full tuition scholarship along with a housing stipend for the first year if I'm accepted through the early decision process. The catch is that I commit to attend there by applying through the early decision process. If accepted, I also have to withdraw my application from all other schools. I've thought a lot about this, and while it would be nice to know what my options would be from all schools, with the distinct possibility that I would receive some sort of scholarship offer from higher ranked schools, I don't believe that I would get anything as lucrative as that being offer by GW through the early decision process. I realize that job prospect and future earning potential could offset the costs of attending a higher ranked school, but I think that is more applicable if I wanted to work at prestigious law firm in NY or LA. I don't want to do that. We want to move back to Utah. The pay at law firms here obviously isn't as high as at the very top national or global firms, so debt would be more burdensome here. Obviously, there are a variety of factors and variables that are included into this decision, and I guess what I'm really trying to get at is that after taking all of these variables into account, I along with Aubree really feel like applying to GW is the right thing to do. I'm get really excited thinking about going to school at GW and living in the DC area. Now, the real obstacle is making sure that I get accepted.

On a related note, I told Michelle last night that one reason I'm excited to move to the DC area is that come election time, due to the electoral college, my vote will mean more on a national level, however it is I decide to vote. One thing I don't remember from my US history class or just from general knowledge is how residents of the District of Columbia are accounted for in presidential elections. I'm sure Kyle (as well as others) could tell me.

Aubree said to me that I'm not supposed to write about political topics or current news events on this blog, but I don't really have another forum at the moment, so you'll have to forgive me for one short rant. This week, the senate confirmed Judge Michael Mukasey (I guess it's now AG Michael Mukasey) to replace Alberto Gonzales as Attorney General of the United States. During his confirmation hearings, there arose controversy around his answers regarding the legality and constitutionality of waterboarding. For those of you who don't know what waterboarding is, it is a form of torture in which the victim is placed in a setup where they are essentially drowned. The perpetrators are able to suspend the process before death actually occurs, but the physical and psychological suffering is immense. The United States, in particular the CIA, has engaged in waterboarding during interrogation of detainees. One of the earliest uses of waterboarding was during the Spanish Inquisition. It has been used by various tyrannical governments since. It disgusts me that representatives of my country have used this technique. Michael Mukasey, while admitting that waterboarding is repugnant, wouldn't accept that it is a form of torture when asked directly if in fact it is torture. I suppose you could argue it's a matter of semantics, but I believe that the US should be an example of moral character, especially if we claim to be so, and engaging in techniques such as waterboarding just doesn't live up to that standard.

2 comments:

Kyle Cooper said...

So is ED (I didn't know before I typed that that two letters could be a double entendre) at GW cemented?

As for DC's presidential voting, I knew they had some electoral votes, and research revealed for me that they have 3, despite not having any members of Congress. (And it looks like they won't for a while, considering the outcome of the UT-DC vote a month or two ago)

And finally, on the Mukasey issue, all I can say is: well said and I agree completely.

geri said...

We'll keep our fingers crossed for GW- it would be nice to have familiar faces out that way!