Aubree beat me to the punch. I guess she had a few minutes while she was at work last night, and she decided to post about the scholarship. In fact, I think she did all of that research about St. Louis while she was at work.
Let me be honest. I was at home doing the same thing. I meant to post about the scholarship to WashU last night, but I had some laundry to fold and Thomas woke up, so I had to get him to sleep. I decided that by that point, I would go to bed and do it in the morning. I guess I was too slow.
To be honest, it's really exciting that Aubree has so taken to St. Louis. Like she said, she has kind of taken a quiet role in choosing law schools. I've asked her many times where she would like to go, and her usual response is that she'll go wherever I want to go. I'm glad that she's adventurous and willing to go anywhere, but it's also nice to see her excited about St. Louis. This decision definitely affects her just as much as it does me.
Let me share how this news is affecting my thinking. Of the schools I've been accepted to, Washington University and George Washington University were my top two choices. BYU was probably next, followed by Chicago-Kent, and then George Mason. I think that this scholarship pretty much knocks Chicago-Kent and George Mason out of the running. I know that BYU is a good school, but I don't really want to go there. The financial situation was just making it really hard to say so. While it will still cost more to go to WashU than it would to BYU, it's not as significant a difference as it was two days ago. The cost of living in St. Louis seems to be less than Salt Lake, from what I can tell, so that might even offset the tuition difference.
So, if I had to pick a school today, it would be Washington University. I haven't heard from George Washington regarding scholarships and financial aid, but I received and email almost two weeks ago saying that they were sending out their first round of scholarships the next day. I haven't posted about any scholarship from GW yet because nothing came in the mail. I think that the longer I have to wait, the more dim my prospects of a great scholarship get. The same goes for the schools I haven't heard from. To make things a little more interesting, Washington University wants me to either accept or decline the scholarship by March 25. I'm not even guaranteed to hear back from every school regarding admissions by then. I think most try to have financial aid decisions by the middle of April, but that's obviously too late.
So, I guess the point of this post is that as of right now, Washington University is my number one school. I have about three weeks to make that official.
4 weeks ago

4 comments:
Congratulations! That is really exciting! It is exciting that both you and Aubree feel good about it. I am going to go look at Washington University's website right now!
Didn't James serve a mission in St. Louis? I am sure he would could give you insider info....
Yahoo! St. Louis is cool cause it has a really neat arch. :) You know, I actually landed in St. Louis once and I was there for a whole thirty minutes while the plane picked up more passengers. From what I could tell, it was a very nice experience!! And this would be great cause Trace's sister lives in Missouri too. Even more reason to come and visit!
Congratulations, Michael!!!I spent some time in St. Louis and thought it was a very nice city. Very green and lush. The midwestern people are very friendly also. I'm really happy that you got such a generous financial offer. You deserve it. Good luck as you weigh out the final considerations of your big move. We are very happy for you and Aubree.
Post a Comment