Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Creepy Maps

I think that it's been about a year since google started uploading street view images to their maps feature. I read an article about it when the first started doing it. Basically, what they do is take a picture from the street and then you can view that image when you click on that point in the map. The article discussed some issues with privacy and the invasion thereof. Some of the first street view images were done in the San Francisco area. The article pointed out the fact that some of the street view images taken around Stanford contain some women sun bathing in their swimming suits. While they are obviously not afraid of people seeing them while they were sunbathing on a campus lawn, the question was whether or not an image of that should be posted online by google to be seen for who knows how long.

I don't particularly know where I stand on this. However, I do think you shouldn't be doing anything outside (or inside for that matter) that you would be embarrassed about. Either it shouldn't embarrass you or you shouldn't do it.

I was looking up an address yesterday on google maps, and I noticed that virtually all of the Wasatch front has been recorded for google maps street view. I was intrigued, and looked at my street. When I panned the image towards my house, there I was, standing at my front gate! It was kind of eerie. Lizzy was keeping watch in the front doorway as well. If you scroll down towards the ground, you can see part of the car that was taking the images. Now that I think about it, I remember when this happened. If I remember correctly, there was this big white ball or satellite type thing strapped to the top of this car. It happened some time last summer before we cut down our trees and when my hair was still long.

I don't particularly want to put my address up in this post, so if you know where we live, you can check it out. At any rate, see if your own house is on there. (Sorry Mom. For some reason, they skipped your street.) Also, watch what you're doing. Google is watching!

0 comments: