Wednesday, April 9, 2008

WashU...Yes...I love you!

So it's official. We decided last night that we're going to move to St. Louis and go to law school at Washington University. As Aubree mentions in her post, this hasn't been an easy decision. I've been to St. Louis twice in two weeks to help make this decision. I've already commented about how I liked my first visit. The second visit was also great, and it only helped confirm for me my desire to go to school there.

We've been really blessed with lots of wonderful options. It's true that we could stay here and I could go to school for free. Also, our ultimate plan is to return to Utah, so going to school here makes sense for future employment. There are also good reasons to go to WashU. I got a fantastic scholarship there, that while it's not full tuition like the U, it is a sizable scholarship. WashU is a great school, and as I've mentioned, the student body is much more diverse, which will only add to my experience. Also, I think that it will be a good, but sometimes hard, experience for us to move away. Depending on how you look at it, moving could be a pro or a con.

Ultimately, staying in Utah would be easier, but being easier doesn't mean that it's right. I've felt very good about WashU for a while, and I think that Aubree is now on the same page. She has been a great sounding board, and I've definitely had to refine my argument for spending more money on school and moving away from everything we have here. It's been hard because, as I said, staying in Utah would be easier, and it would be a very logical and rational decision. I'm glad that we've come to a point together where we feel really good about this decision to move to St. Louis. It may not be the easiest choice, and it may not be exactly what we respectively wanted when we started this process, but I think that it is the right choice, and that feels really good.


There is one caveat. I've been wait listed at Columbia, Chicago, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, and University of Washington. If I were pulled from the wait list at Columbia, Chicago, Virginia, or Duke, we've said to each other that we'd change our plans and go to that school. To go to a top 10 law school would just be hard to pass up. However, we'll cross that bridge if and when we get there.

0 comments: