Sunday, August 23, 2009

Science Center

As part of our staycation we went to to Forest Park and the St. Louis Science Center. This was right up my alley. We got there before the Science Center was open, so we took a walk around the park and took a few pictures. The weather has been fantastic the past couple of days in St. Louis. Sunny and 70s with little humidity. Thomas enjoyed sitting by the water and posing with the boys.



The Science Center was a lot of fun. Being a science geek, I enjoyed every second of it. The Science Center really encompasses two buildings connected by a bridge spanning I-64. When we first went in, there was an exhibit on space travel and exploration. There was also an exhibit on the X-prize competition for private enterprises to achieve space travel. I wasn't aware until today that that was started by a group in St. Louis called the New Spirit of St. Louis organization. It mirrors the Spirit of St. Louis organization that offered a prize resulting in the Spirit of St. Louis and Charles Lindbergh winning a prize. Anyway, enough technicalities.

We crossed the bridge, and once we entered the other building, we saw this big ball track filling the whole room. Thomas was enthralled.


We had some lunch before we went to an Omnimax movie about the Grand Canyon and the Colorado River. It was really cool, and Thomas and Henry both enjoyed it. An Omnimax theater is an enormous screen that is kind of like a half dome. Henry just kept moving his head back and forth looking at everything.

After the movie, we went to the discovery zone. It was a "kids" playground. Kids of all ages, that is. I'll begin with Aubree. I found her in this teepee playing a drum with some plastic bananas. I'm not sure where our kids were, but she was having fun.

But, she looked like she was having so much fun, I thought I would join in. Our kids are fine, really.


Don't worry about Thomas. He was oblivious to our presence. There were all kinds of awesome toys but all he cared about was Thomas the train. Maybe its some sort of name association bias. But really, we had to try and coax him away so he could see some other things.




Thomas was scared of this T-Rex. It moved and made sound. He wanted to be held.

Not to worry. He overcame his fears and was attacking these dinosaurs. We pushed back against a triceratops and Thomas had this T-rex by the tail.

Henry had fallen asleep in his stroller. He can be so sweet when he wakes up. See Exhibit A and Exhibit B.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a sweet baby boy! That science center looks fun!

Mom T said...

You made a good choice to have a staycation. It looks like the whole family had lots of fun right there in St. Louis. Thanks for all of the fun posts. I love the picture of Thomas ontop of the Thomas train set. :)