I just got home to watch Thomas while Aubree goes to a training at the hospital. I grabbed the mail when I came in, and couldn't initially tell that there was anything spectacular. A couple of magazines arrived along with some normal sized envelopes. After I got inside, I looked through everything we got. Among the normal sized envelopes was one with a return address from Georgetown Law. I well remember the regular sized envelopes from my days applying to various undergraduate institutions. The small envelopes usually weren't a good sign. If you got a large, thick envelope that obviously contained lots of paper and booklets, it usually meant you were accepted.
With this in mind, I opened up the letter from Georgetown, and fortunately, I wasn't rejected. Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted, either. I was put on Georgetown's Preferred Waiting List. They say that those on the preferred waiting list "have the strongest credentials of all waiting list candidates, and, as a result, receive priority consideration if spaces become available." They also say that they typically have about 50 spaces that open up to waiting list candidates. There is a lot of uncertainty involved in this. They could accept me as last as registration day. In May, they will contact me again to reconfirm my interest in attending Georgetown. I really would like to go to Georgetown. I'm not just saying that, either. When I posted my list of schools recently, I thought to myself how much I really would like to go to Georgetown. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens with the rest of the schools. I don't know how long we could wait to make our decision. I don't think we could hold out until registration day, unless we had already decided that DC was the place for us. As a minor drawback, schools require seat deposits generally beginning in April. They want some commitment. I guess this is where they'll have their first idea of how many wait-listers they can take. It also means that the schools that I'm accepted to want me to pay up by that point as well. Obviously, I'll secure a spot somewhere, but if we decide that my number one school is somewhere I'm wait-listed, that seat deposit money is non-refundable.
I don't know how coherent that last paragraph was. It just went where my thoughts took me. All in all, I guess I'm happy that I wasn't rejected, but I'm also sad that I wasn't accepted. With the "Preferred" waiting list status, I guess it's a net positive.
Does that make me 4.5 out of 5?
4 weeks ago

5 comments:
I don't think it makes you 4.5 out of 5... you're still 4 out of 4... that vote doesn't count til May! ;)
I am sorry you got wait-listed. (Which isn't a bad thing, but I can imagine you being disappointed.) I think your track record is wonderful! You are an example to me to work harder in school!!!! Love ya!
I was just reading my comment...it sounded really mean. I didn't mean it that way at all. Anyway, Congratulations!!! love ya.
Hey Aubree! It's Chelsea your old visisting teacher!! I guess we have a friend of a friend of a friend in common. Small world I guess. I saw your picture and I kept thinking you looked so familiar...Duh! Anyway, very cute blog. Thomas is adorable. Also, I couldn't resist voicing my utter pleasure that your husband is an Obama supporter!! Open your mind to change! (sorry for that political banter).
Best wishes.
Hey Michael,I am so proud of you. Georgetown would be totally cool, so wait a bit and see. Of course, all the uncertainty is very hard, but hang in there. Whatever choice you make will be a good one, because you only have good options. Congratulations on all of this. Love you!
Post a Comment