Monday, November 10, 2008

Books

I've recently been in the mood to read new books. And I am looking for suggestions from people on what to read. So, anyone and everyone please comment if you have one or two books that you just absolutely love and think I would too. Tell me the name and author if possible and a short clip on what the book is about or why you like it. I really hope you comment, because I'm in the mood to read something really fabulous and I need you to tell me what that fabulous book(s) is. Thanks!!

By the way, I'm open... it can be serious, funny, uplifting, deep, whatever as long as you think it's a good read. :0)

9 comments:

Todd & Chelsea said...

Have you read Marley and Me? All dog lovers must read it. Others that come to mind are kinda old...the Kite Runner, the female brain (sooo freaking interesting)Angels and Deamons, Life of Phi...thats all I got right now.

Now about this BCS bound movie. All I can say is it's a good thing I took a day to comment after I watched it!!!!! HAHA. I went from attending the U to being a BIG BYU fan. That clip was just mean! Where was the cocking clip last season huh!?!? And lets not forget you only beat TCU bc their kicker choked. I do think you'll win but just be a good sport about it ok! HAHA I'm totally kidding around I hope you know.

p.s. Michael, thank-you for your insight on the Prop 8. That article you suggest was very interesting and makes a good point. I bet it's an exciting time to get in law school. Hope it's going well.

Semi Granola Mom said...

Have you read any Terry Brooks, I loved probably every book I read by him back in the day, and would read them in a couple of days, though like 800 pages long because they were good and I couldn't put them down.
~C

mckenna said...

I'm needing something new to start, so I'll have to steal some ideas from your other comments!!

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale - Girls who live in a mountain village and work in a rock quarry are chosen to attend a school to ready them to possibly be chosen as the prince's bride. So cute!

These Is My Words by Nancy E Turner - The diary of a woman (from 18-30's ish) during the settling of the Arizona Territory. LOVE this one! It's probably one of my very favorites.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Classic chick flick.

The Peacegiver by James L Ferrell - It's about healing relationships through the atonement of Jesus Christ but it's written as a big fictional parable (a man and woman in a troubled marriage) and is filled with little parables from the scriptures (some I hadn't heard and later looked up). It's got incredible insight I'd recommend that EVERYONE read this one.

Take your pick!! :)

Michelle said...

We Are All the Same: A Story of a Boy's Courage and a Mother's Love
by Jim Wooten

The author, an award-winning senior correspondent for ABC News, has written an extraordinarily moving account of a courageous South African boy's battle with AIDS that is also a scathing indictment of South African leaders who have failed to confront the AIDS epidemic in their country. Nkosi, born in 1989 in the former Zululand, was infected by his poverty-stricken mother, Daphne. As Wooten recounts, Daphne moved heaven and earth to insure that her son would be provided for after her own death and agreed to his adoption, at age three, by Gail Johnson, a white South African, who had met Nkosi at a hospice. A hero in her own right, Johnson nourished Nkosi's strong spirit, which gave out only when he died at the age of 12. Before then, Johnson and Nkosi traveled internationally to gain support for Nkosi's Haven, a home for women and children with AIDS in South Africa.

I think this my favorite book. Maybe because I don't read that much and hardly ever finish a book. This one I finished because it was so interesting, touching and powerful! I would recommend it to anyone. I even recommended it to my mom's book club.

Hirsche Family said...

Are you game for Children's Lit or Teen Novels? Being a Children's Librarian that is about all I read these days, but I read lots of it. If you are interested, I will suggest a few. -Carol

Marisa said...

I second Princess Academy, I read that one and loved it as well!

Amber said...

Um... the Book of Mormon is pretty dang good. It's starts off with this guy named Lehi who took his family out in the wilderness. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll definitely feel the spirit. Captain Moroni is one of my favorite Characters. You'll find him in the Book of Alma. Let me know what you think.

I also liked The Time Traveler- it's about this guy who travels back in time and meets his wife when she is like 6 and then she catches up to him (Cause he stays the same age) and it's pretty great but a little riskae. Not going to lie.

Angela Montgomery said...

If you haven't read the Twlight series, you might want too. I LOVED it. Reading the cover I laughed and said I'd never read such a dumb book, but they're good. I love all of Anita Stansfields books. Rachel Ann Nunes. Most Classics. Old Tom's Cabin. Persuasion, Wuthering Heights, The Age of Innocence. I also really LOVE Jodi Picoult. She has tons of good books! I miss reading books 4 fun instead of my text books. Read something good 4 me sister!

Anonymous said...

the twilight series are by far my fav books! So if you haven't read them, do! Here's some other suggestions:
The goose girl by shannon hale
A great and terrible beauty by liba bray
The guernsy literary and potato peel pie society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (myfav book this year!)
The womens murder club mysteries by James Patterson
Suzanne's diary for Nicholas by James Patterson (one of my fav books ever!)
If you want more, just let me know! I love to read! :)