Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Book list

I took a quick break from my overwhelming work load to read the comments on Aubree's book request post. I decided to throw in my two cents, and was about to post to the comments when I thought, "Hey, I want to be selfish. I want everyone to read my list of books." So, here it is on the main page.

I don't mean to discount everyone else's contributions to the list. It's an interesting discussion. Go and check it out.

However, he's my bit...

Aubree,

You know what books I've recently read. (That is before all of the lovely law books have taken up all of my time. Don't worry. I won't list those.) However, if others are going to pick from your list, I'll throw a few of my favorites out there.

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky (Although it took me forever to finish.)
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
David Copperfield - Dickens

All of these deal a lot with interpersonal relationship, morality, and inner exploration. That description is short and inadequate, but I really loved these books.

Anonomous Lawyer - Jeremy Blachman
(Very funny book about partner at a law firm who decides to start a blog anonymously, but things get a little out of control. The book is actually written as blog posts and emails, but it flows really well.)

I'll second Marley and Me. Must read if you have a dog or have ever had a dog. You'll laugh, you'll cry...

Finally, The Lucifer Effect - Philip Zimbardo. He's a Stanford Psychologist who ran one of the most famous psychology experiments ever when he set up a fake prison in the 70's. MUCH has been written about the experiment, but this is the first time he's actually written a book about it. He goes on to compare the experiment to the atrocities that occurred at Abu Ghraib (sp?). It also causes self reflection.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for some good ideas for when I am not reading educational law books. I am going to rejoin my book club in June...can't wait!