Thomas turned 18 months old this month. This has caused me to reflect about when Cory was 18 months old. It was at that time that his cancer was found and he went through surgery to have his kidney removed and then through 6 months of chemotherapy. That was an incredibly scary time, and being only 12 years old at the time, it was obviously scary for me, but I can't even imagine what my parents went through. Cory was a tough little kid and he responded so well to everything they did to him, physically in that he got better, but also in the way that he handled it as a little kid.
As a parent now, I can't even imagine the horror I would feel if Thomas were to get sick. I guess in my recent contemplation, I've just felt very grateful to have Thomas and that he is healthy. Along with that, I guess I've been cognizant of the fact that bad things can happen. I think that realization makes you cherish your family that much more. It puts things in perspective. Obviously I'm working hard at school so that I can support my family, but I do it with perspective. When my classmates find out that I have a toddler and a baby on the way, they usually express some dismay at how I could handle law school with all of that. I see it differently. I think that I have an advantage. I have such a wonderful support system, and I get to go home to the people I love the most and who love me.
Just a quick story about Thomas, now. It's actually kind of sad. I got him up this morning and changed his diaper. He then went and layed back down with his Mommy and drank a bottle. All the while, I was finishing getting ready for school. I went back in our room to get my shoes and say goodbye. I gave Aubree and Thomas a kiss and went to get my bag and head out. Thomas got down from the bed and followed after me. He knew that I was leaving, and I picked him up to give him a last hug. He said, "Shoes. Shoes." because he wanted to get his shoes and come with. I had to put him down and leave because I was kind of late. I went out the front door and he stood there behind the glass door crying as I walked to my car. He continued to cry as I backed out of the driveway. I looked back again just before pulling away, and he was still crying, but he was also waving goodbye by opening and closing his fist. It broke my heart. Such a sweet little boy!
I know I've rambled a bit, but to sum it all up, I love my family!
4 weeks ago

4 comments:
Aubree, tag, you're it :)
~C
That was such a scary time with Cory. I am grateful every day to have him here. It is amazing, isn't it, how much love you can feel for your child. I am so happy you have a beautiful wife and son to love you. Families are the greatest!
I don't have a son (as you know), but being a little bit older and loving Thomas so much, I can't believe Cory had cancer when he was Thomas' age. It was scary for me as an eight year old, so I can't even imagine how it was for mom and dad. Anyway... that story of Thomas made me say, "Ah.." out loud. What a sweet heart!
By the way: I told all of my co-workers today that story of Thomas waving and crying when you left. (And, let me tell you, talking about him at work is NOT a rare occassion.) What a little stud! I love you guys!
Post a Comment